Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mia's Ladybug Birthday Party


I wanted to give my little Mia a great first birthday party, one that suited her well. It was pretty easy choosing the lady bug theme for her. She is a sweet little girl. I loved the contrast of the black red and white. Not too frilly and girly but still cute and feminine just like her. I started to design an invite and everything else followed suit.

 


To set the stage guest were greeted by a festive door sign hung with cute coordinating ribbons and then entered into the room with the focal dessert table. The table was adorned with matching paper products I designed, including a banner, cupcake toppers, waterbottle labels, food labels, favor tags, and cake toppers along with coordinating decorations.


 I created really cute and easy centerpieces using small metal buckets I found in the Target dollar section. I glued black pompoms to them and filled them with green crinkle paper to simulate grass. Then, I added red and white swirl lollipops and a large round cake topper adorned it.


I found the cutest goodie boxes for the kids in red and black polka dots and made a cute favor label for the front.

I viewed a tutorial on how to make tissue paper pom poms. They were so easy and fun to do. I sat down with my mom one night and we made them in a sinch. I bought a few packs of tissue paper for $1 a pack at Walmart and hung them with decorative ribbon. They really added so much to the look of the dessert table.


I love edible favors. I saw some amazing lady bug sugar cookies online and found a great blog site tutorial by Sweet Sugar Belle on how to decorate cookies. It gave me enough confidence to try my hand at it. For a first crack at these cookies, I was pretty darn proud of what I had done with the help of my darling brother who stayed up with me the night before finishing them. The recipes she provided for the cookies and the icing were great too.


I found a wonderful vender when I was planning my wedding who makes amazing cakes. She did such a wonderful job with our wedding cake, that I have used her as well for our first baby's birthday cake (sesame street themed) and was so happy that she agreed to do Mia's Ladybug cake. To make this cake personalized, I designed and made a miniature pennant style banner with Mia s name as the cake topper.


There was going to be a number of small kids at the party so we needed to have some activities that were simple and entertaining. We had a wonderful ping pong toss game made by my wonderful husband, a bean bag toss and a rubber ducky fishing game. I tied all the games together by creating 11x17 game signs with the lady bug graphics. I even had a small craft table set up with a kit I had bought online for making ladybug magnets. I sort of love the idea of making your own favors.


Mia's dress was found on etsy. On a shop called Mollie Pops. I wanted something light and casual as we were having very hot weather. I am always happy to support handmade in America. I was super happy with the dress. It fit perfectly and she was even able to make a diaper cover to match at my request.

No comments:

Post a Comment